Friday, August 24, 2012

Schramm Model of Communication


Schramm Model of Communication


The Schramm Model of Communication diagram presents an interesting look at the processes involved in transmitting and receiving messages. To be honest, this week was the first time I had ever seen this model illustrated. (Although I am aware of the concept.) And when it rains, it pours. In Dr. Harmon's class, a few days later,  the Schramm Model reappeared in a class discussion session.

What struck me most about this diagram is how it can be applied to both literal situations and more figurative situations. Just as various types of interference can interrupt radio waves, so also can teacher-transmitted messages be interrupted by a noise source.

As an ESL teacher, I frequently encounter mini-versions of interrupted communication transmissions. In my case, many times the channel itself is more important than the message being conveyed. Using topic-based curriculum, I really am not as focused on whether or not the students understand the idea of leadership as much as I am whether or not they can effectively transmit/receive messages in general. 

Continuing in this same vein, I think that noise source can be defined as many things. Perhaps in an ESL classroom, this noise can be labeled as components such as accent variations, rate of speech, vocabulary knowledge, etc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment